Saturday 14 December 2019

The glory belongs to the Lord - not to David, not to Saul, not to anyone else!

1 Samuel 18:1-30
'Loved' by 'all Israel and Judah' (16,28), David was hated by only one man, the most powerful man in the land - Saul (29). Saul was full of envy (7-8), suspicion (9) and violence (10-11). Saul had been proved wrong (17:33,50), and he didn't like it! David had more success with the women (7), and Saul wasn't happy about this! The women shouldn't have been idolizing David. Saul shouldn't have been seeking glory for himself. The glory belongs to the Lord - not to David, not to Saul, not to anyone else! 'Saul was David's enemy continually' (29). His real argument was with God. 'The Lord was with David' (14,28). This didn't please Saul - 'Why am I not getting all this blessing? I'm the king!'. If anyone says, I love God', and hates his brother, he is a liar... he who loves God should love his brother also' (1 John 4:20-21).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

More Than A Morning Prayer: Psalm 5

“Morning by morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; morning by morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation” (v. 3). These ...